Ellson Quismorio | Manila Bulletin | April 25, 2017

Quezon City 2nd district Rep. Winston Castelo is backing calls to probe the reported "near-deadly" derailment of the Metro Rail Transit (MRT)-3 that happened last week.

"It’s an issue worthy of an investigation as it affects public interest," Castelo, chairman of the Committee on Metro Manila Development, said Monday.

There were reports over the weekend that the MRT-3 train's gearbox had snapped, causing the train’s derailment.

An official service interruption report obtained by Puwersa ng Bayaning Atleta (PBA) Party-list Rep. Jericho Nograles said the incident occurred at around 8 p.m. Tuesday at the train system’s North Avenue station.

Nograles also claimed that the disturbing report was hidden from the public. "I have no personal knowledge of it, I read it only on papers," admitted Castelo.

Nograles said disaster was averted since the incident took place after the train offloaded passengers at the North Avenue Station, it's last stop before turning around to fetch south-bound passengers.

"We're lucky no one was harmed but I renew my calls for concern that these are rolling coffins. I am calling on the House Transport Committee to act on House Resolution (HR) No. 787 immediately," he said in a statement Sunday.

HR No.787 calls on the transportation panel headed by Catanduanes lone district Rep. Cesar Sarmiento to exercise its oversight functions by investigating MRT officials and maintenance provider Busan Universal Rail Inc. (BURI) on its alleged substandard services.