By Jacque Manabat | ABS-CBN News | February 22, 2016
MANILA - The Department of Transportation and Communications' (DOTC) attempt to bid out the installation of the Metro Rail Transit's (MRT) rail replacement failed for a second time, as no bidder showed up on Monday.
The P18-million rail replacement project was meant to replace seven kilometers of rail, procured in February 2015.
As of this year, MRT has recorded 15 incidents of rail breakage. However, MRT general manager Roman Buenafe attributed these breaks to the cold weather.
Buenafe said these incidents will lessen as soon as rails are replaced with the installation of expansion joints.
MRT management is considering other options such as negotiated procurement and reopening of bids to handle installation by administration.
Buenafe said there is no need to wait for the rails to be replaced before the operation of the new train from Dalian China.
Last week, two new trains were assembled in Taft station and were brought to the depot.
These coaches will complete one train set, which is target to run the revenue rails by March.
These coaches will undergo dynamic and static testing in the next few days.